Monday, February 16, 2015

Greenland Style Paddle

For my second paddle, I thought I'd have a go at making a Greenland style paddle. I found some instructions online and selected a nice looking piece of Oregon (Douglas Fir) and started marking out. I marked it all out and then cut roughly to size only to then realise how heavy the piece of Oregon actually was! Doh! Not impressed with wasting my time, especially as it was 40 deg C yesterday and VERY hot in the shed!

So plan B then - I have some nice lightweight pieces, but they weren't wide enough. So I laminated some pieces to the ends to make the required thickness.


The nice but heavy piece or oregon.

 All marked out ready for cutting.



Cutting to size...  

 Plan B - Laminating pieces of lighter Oregon together.

Glued and clamped together with thickened epoxy. 


The end pieces with some contrasting timber laminated in the middle.


Nice sunset.

No comments:

Post a Comment